Sunday, July 17, 2011

When the piano is silenced...

    There are all kinds of sounds I hear within  my home. The quiet humming of the ceiling fan, the concerts the songbirds give each day outside my windows, the dishwasher chugging, music from I-Tunes playing over speakers, the phone ringing, the dog barking, cat meowing, the loud motors of trucks passing by on  the road out front and many more.  By far my favorite sound is when Justine plays her piano.
      I am regaled with a variety of music all so expertly played!! In the mornings, if there is enough time before catching  the bus, I am delighted by the playing of favorite hymns. I catch myself singing along and find my mornings so much more pleasant even after the echos recede.  Sometimes I hear the sound of our favorite Final Fantasy music. "Eyes On Me". It is so beautiful!   I hear the many pieces she loves and desires to play; pieces she will research, buy sheet music for and work long and tedious hours to  learn. 
        She composes her own music and has created a song that rivals any I have heard. Her piece  is of such meloncholy beauty, it makes me cry! It does more then tug at the heartstrings, it brands it with the searing fire of emotion.  Unless she is gone overnight at a friends or at camp.. there isnt a day that goes by that  the most anticipated sounds  I wait for is her piano music.
       The piano itself is such an old thing! An antique!  Some of the keys don't work, the petals don't work, but it was free and it is hers. She has a gift! She is a keymaster! She makes that old broken piano sing! She coaxes from it excellence! Any spare minute she has, she will be found at her beloved piano plucking the keys, each key itself unlocking a world of music that invokes so many emotions! And I no matter where I am in the house when I hear her, I smile as I listen and soak up the songs she plays.
        One day she will be off to college. I'll be left with the quiet humming of the ceiling fan, the concerts the songbirds give each day outside my windows, the dishwasher chugging, music from I-Tunes playing over speakers, the phone ringing, the dog barking, cat meowing, the loud motors of trucks passing by on  the road out front and many more sounds.
     But when her piano is silenced, there will be a silence none of those daily noises can fill. It will be a silence so profound and deep that my heart will ache. Until  that day comes, play for me daughter of mine! Play for me!

1 comment:

Willford Family said...

That story is so heartfelt! It tugs right at my mama heart! I can see through your words and feel the emotion behind them. What a beautiful hand print
she leaves on your heart and ears every day! Have you told her how much you admire this quality? I bet it would build her up inside. As mothers we tend to notice quietly certain spiritual gifts that each child graces our homes. Each one brings a special light into the family. Your encouragement embraces her talents so beautifully! Thank you for sharing that one too!